"The new Methodist church structure is progressing rapidly. As we walk up and down S. Maryland Ave. we can notice how this great undertaking is being achieved and accomplished” wrote Werntz, going on to say “to me, though not a member of this great Church, the present accomplishment of this valuable structure not only for services and benefit of its members, but also for the benefit of the entire community, I am particularly gratified.” Earlier that year, First Methodist Church announced plans for a significant expansion of their building with the construction of a new educational annex and fellowship hall along with a complete renovation of the earlier 1907 sanctuary. Such an undertaking was a courageous effort in a small town like Brunswick, but even more so in consideration of events that were impacting the world in 1941. When the Blade Times announced the groundbreaking for the building project on May 15, 1941, the same issue carried full-page coverage of the war in Europe and speculation about the United States’ entry into the global conflict. Offerings were being collected at churches across the area to support victims of famine, soldiers in training, and aid organizations seeking to help those in war-torn Europe. By August, with excavation completed at the building site, the shortage of steel forced a halt in the building project that delayed further progress for several weeks. Ultimately, the building project stretched on for ten months, during which time the Methodists worshiped in Brunswick’s Imperial Theater on West Potomac Street.
Born in 1883 in the city of Utena, Lithuania (then a part of the Russian Empire), Himan Werntz immigrated to the United States in 1902 and became a naturalized citizen on January 8, 1909. He came to Brunswick in 1903 and initially worked for another Jewish businessman, Victor Kaplon, who operated a department store. Kaplon was also a refugee from Russia who came to the United States in 1885. In 1907, Werntz struck out on his own, opening his business with his brother-in-law. He became a Sochet, trained in preparing kosher foods for local Jewish families. In 1917, Werntz, along with Victor Kaplon, became a founding trustee of Brunswick’s Beth Israel Synagogue. Throughout the 1930s, residents of the Middletown Valley, like the rest of the United States, read the disturbing news of the actions of the Nazi regime in Germany. As early as 1934, the Blade Times was reporting on concentration camps and the arrests of Jewish peoples and others amid the growing horrors of the Holocaust. In his 1941 letter, Werntz spoke to this reality, declaring “the foundation of the world’s greatest democracy was laid by our forefathers on the principles of religious freedom and equal rights. They were persecuted in the old country, they were prohibited to worship God according to their tradition and wishes, and therefore have made great sacrifices by abandoning their homes and all they owned in order to find a free land where they could worship God according to their own desire and find freedom for the spirit also.”
800 people attended the dedication services for the newly expanded First Methodist Church on March 8, 1942. The Blade Times covered the dedication services, reporting “a high point in the afternoon service was the presentation of the pulpit Bible by the Kaplon family. Mr. Myer Kaplon, at the request of Rev. Trott, spoke to the congregation, expressing appreciation for the friendship that existed between the Church and his family, and further stating that we must look to men of religious faith to keep the lights of tolerance and good will and helpfulness from being extinguished by the forces of evil unleashed upon the world.”
0 Comments
Leave a Reply. |
Welcome!The South Mountain Stories blog features events, people, and unique artifacts preserved in the archives and museum collection at South Mountain Heritage Society. Archives
January 2026
Categories |
|
Dedicated to preserving and interpreting the history of Burkittsville
|
3 East Main Street • P.O. Box 509 • Burkittsville, MD 21718
Open on the First Saturday of the months April - September 10:00 am - 3:00 pm |